Preparing to move can be a hectic business.
With 1001 little things that need to be done before you move house or relocate office, the last thing you want is to arrive at your new home only to find that there’s something crucially important you should’ve done in advance.
Should’ve, could’ve – didn’t! Don’t be that person.
It’s all too easy to get caught up in the excitement of the move and forget about all the little things you should do to ensure peace of mind once you arrive on the other side.
To help you get ready to move home and to make your move easy and stress-free, we’ve drawn up an essential checklist of moving home tips you can use to make sure that everything that needs to be done, gets done.
Your checklist of moving home tips
Arriving at your new home should be an unforgettable moment and there’s nothing worse than an unexpected mini crisis to kill the move-in mood.
You’re probably familiar with all the usual things such as getting the house fully cleaned before you move in and wiping out all the cabinets, deep cleaning the carpets and even investing in pest control. But before you actually make the move to your new home, be sure to take a look at the list below and make sure everything else is in order too.
- Do a furniture free walk-through
If this is the first time you’re seeing your new home without furniture, now is the perfect opportunity to walk through, stare down those blank walls, and think of awesome ways to decorate and furnish your new place.
· You’ll also want to check and make sure that any repairs you requested as part of the terms of sale have been completed and that everything is in working order.
· Say hello to your new circuit breaker and main water valve – check they still work.
· Check for any leaks around taps and toilets. You could even take a reading of the water meter on your arrival, and again when you leave a few hours later. If the reading is different, you might have a leak that needs to be sorted.
· If you’re relocating to another city you may want to do this check ahead of time through a Zoom walk-through to avoid any bad surprises when you move in.
- Create a packing and unpacking plan
The better your packing system, the easier it will be to unbox all your items and get your new home furnished, decorated, and up and running.
· Decide how you’re going to pack. Some people find it easier to assign boxes to specific rooms in the house while others like to pack items in the same category in the same box.
· Whichever approach you choose (and even if you create your own hybrid system) it’s essential to have an inventory for each box.
· You’ll also want to have a master list of every box you packed and its contents.
This simple bit of admin can be a huge help when it comes to unpacking and will also help you to identify missing or broken items so that you can lodge an insurance claim. Fortunately, with Key Moves’ fully trained logistics staff, our well-managed fleet, excellent record of safe moves and our fully comprehensive risk cover you can have complete peace of mind as you move home.
- Make sure your utilities are connected (and disconnected)
Arriving at an empty house with no power or water is one of the worst ways to start a new chapter in your life. Luckily, it’s easy to avoid this kind of inconvenience.
· Before you move, you’ll want to confirm with your estate agent that the power and water at your new home are up and running.
· Ideally that you have Wi-Fi I or cable internet access too.
As much as you’ll be needing utilities and connectivity in your new home, you won’t be needing it in the old home so be sure to disconnect all these services.
Safe and Secure?
Lastly, and usually most importantly, you should change the locks so that you know that the only people with keys to your new home are those that you have given the keys to yourself.
Safe Ready to move home? So are we!
Once you are confident that you have ticked all the boxes on your checklist and you know that everything is sorted for your move, then you really can get ready to move. And the time to get a competitive quote for your packing, storage, and relocation needs is the day that you sign that offer to purchase or lease agreement on your new home!
Request your free quote on our website today and you’ll receive a FREE moving quote.