The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.Mahatma Gandhi, Indian Social Activist
Moving with pets can be traumatic for both you and your fur babies, but there are ways of relocating without exposing your animals to unnecessary trauma.
In this article we’ll go over some helpful tips on moving house with pets and guide you as to how to select the best pet-friendly moving company.
Getting ready for pet travel
Pets are an incredibly important part of our lives and they feel the stress of moving just as strongly as humans do, if not more. The more preparation you do ahead of your move, the less stressful it will be for your special companion (and you) on moving day.
Both cats and dogs are typically territorial. Their environment is familiar to them and any change to what they know is bound to cause some anxiety. Keeping to the same schedule with their feeding, grooming and exercise habits will help your pet adapt to its new home. Here are some further animal specific tips on how to move your pet yourself.
- Dogs can usually be transported using a leash or harness. It’s important to make sure that it fits properly so that you can control your pet without harming them in any way. Once settled in the new home, walk him frequently on a leash so that he gets used to the scents and smells of his new neighbourhood.
- Cats should be transported in a cat box that you can buy (or possibly rent) from a local vet. These containers have plenty of ventilation and a handy carry handle for easy transportation.
- It’s best to transport birds in their cages with a material cover on top of the cage to help calm their nerves during the trip. Consulting with your vet ahead of time when transporting sensitive birds like parrots will help you to reduce the psychological impact of the move.
- Fish can be transported over short distances in bags filled with water from their tanks. However, these animals don’t usually do well on long-distance trips, and some may not survive the journey at all. If you’re not hugely attached to your fish, it may be better to secure a new home for it before you move rather than risk its life during the relocation.
Move your pet last
Animals are known to react badly to sudden changes in their environment, and that’s why it’s so important to wait until you’re ready to leave the house for good before transporting your pets.
- It’s a great idea to prepare your pets for moving ahead of time by buying the necessary travel equipment and planning your moving day schedule in advance.
- Introduce your pet to its crate or carrier slowly with a blanket and treats inside. Leave it open and let your four-legged friend explore at will.
The last thing you want is to leave your pet alone in an empty house while you unpack at your new premises. The key method for moving pets if you can’t allocate a pet-sitter, is to leave them in one room of the house while the rest of your belongings are loaded, and then transport them to your new home by car.
If you’re unable to do this, our comprehensive relocation service that includes pet transportation for people who are moving to Johannesburg with pets, to Cape Town or even across the world, is a solution you’ll want to keep in mind.
International moving with pets
Relocating within South Africa and moving to Cape Town with pets is stressful enough without the added strain of moving overseas. But when it comes to an international move with pets there are several things you need to bear in mind before the trip.
- t’s important to check the law in the country you’re moving to and find out whether pets are allowed to be imported and how long the quarantine period will be.
- Leaving your pets in uncertain conditions for weeks or months at a time could have a severe effect on them psychologically so you may want to consider whether it’s worth moving your animal rather than finding it a good home in South Africa.
No matter where you’re moving to or what kind of pets you need to bring along, at Key Moves we understand that the bond between owner and pet is like no other. We are passionate about transporting pets safely and we understand your need to know that your pets are in good hands. We’re ready and waiting to assist you and your furry friends to help you take the stress out of moving house with your pets.
Get your free pet friendly quote online today and you’ll have a moving estimate within two hours.